In this episode, Tom gets hyped about his favorite topic — habits. He looks at James Clear’s “Atomic Habits” to see how habits shape our lives and determine who we become, and why we need to cultivate habits that help us be who we want to be.
3 Must-Hear Takeaways from this episode
Habits are a key part of who we are and it’s why we need to create habits that get us to being who we want to be.
The cost of your good habits is now and the cost of bad habits are down the road.
Success is the product of daily habits, not a once-in-a-lifetime transformation.
Habits are such a key part of who we are as people. They shape our identity — we’re known by our habits. For example, you can be a smoker, funny, an athlete, or even a binge-watcher.
That is why we must take hold of our habits so we determine our habits instead of them determining us.
In “Atomic Habits” by James Clear, he outlines several ideas that are crucial for owning our habits:
1. The cost of your good habits is now and the cost of bad habits are down the road — If you eat a bowl of ice cream every day, that’s going to be more severe than if you choose to eat something healthy instead. And, the cost is that you choose not to have that bowl of ice cream, but you will be healthier.
2. It’s your commitment to the process that will determine your progress — Who do you want to become? What do you want your identity to be known as? You first have to build the habit of investing in yourself.
3. Celebrate the progress — When you fall in love with the process instead of the product, you don’t have to wait to give yourself permission to be happy. Look for small wins instead of the mountain top experience.
4. Success is the product of daily habits, not a once-in-a-lifetime transformation — The Cultivation journey is about transforming ourselves into who we want to become so that we can be useful to people and the world around us. But, that success is down to daily habits and actions.
5. Habits often appear to make no difference until you cross that threshing point and unlock a new level of importance — Habits seem mundane and insignificant until you reach critical mass and it’s a tipping point in your life.
Disclosure of Material Connection: The links on this page are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”